Saturday, August 30, 2014

Review of "Vampire Academy" by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book back in 2010 and it helped me realize my love for reading and even writing. This summer--after watching the movie--I decided to binge read all books in the VA series.

I personally like vampire books. They're fun and they have a bit of everything in them: fantasy, magic, action, romance, adventure. And this book added something else: A pretty awesome back story.

Vampire Academy starts with a scream. And then it just goes from there. Slowly but surely we hear about the secret vamp society. How there's four kinds of humanoid beings: three of them more vampire than human.

There's the magical vampires: Moroi, they don't kill. They control element, and they go to school, dealing with pretty much the same issues as any of us--well mostly.

There's the not-quite vampires: Dhamphirs, half human, half vamp. It's cross-breeding at its best, and they have the best of both kinds. Well, except for the possibility of having kids with their own kinds. Nevertheless, they are strong, pretty, and very much alive. They work as protector for the magical Moroi.

There's the evil creature from the deepest pit of hell: Strigoi. The true killers. They burn in daylight, can't be killed and doesn't possess feelings. They're the kind of vampires from your nightmares.

What I especially loved about this back story is that we get a seemingly believable reason for why anyone could ever think a vamp was hot--even when they're ruthless killers. And I personally think separating bad vamps from the good ones was very beautifully done.

Rose Hathaway.. I can't decide if I like her as a character. Sometimes, I think she's a tad over the top, but other times it feels like we could be besties--you know.. If that thing could happen.

<.<

>.>


*cough*

I love her little crush on Dimitri. Normally, the whole student/teacher thing is a turn-off, but I didn't think it was overplayed. They were well aware of the rules, and didn't just jump each other because #YOLO. While the feelings may have been obvious, I respected that they didn't act on it.

All in all, I absolutely loved this book. It had a bit of everything, and I adored how Lissa and Christian came together.

Would highly recommend it to people who want to read about a vampires in an amazing well-crafted world.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment